Many conferences including those focusing on the topic of sustainability are not held using sustainable practices. This study compares traditional conferences and conventions to a climate change conference sponsored in part by Waste Management and the Casa Marina hotel as a zero waste event. The event was held in December 2015 at the 311-room, 5-star, Casa Marina hotel, a Waldorf-Astoria resort owned by Hilton, International. The partnership between the Casa Marina and Waste Management resulted 100% of the conference-related material diverted from the landfill. 90.3% of the materials were recycled, composted or reused and the remaining 9.7% of the waste was diverted to a waste-to-energy plant.
waste, sustainable, recycle